Saturday, January 8, 2011

The First Challenge (AKA It's on like Donkey Kong)

As I hinted at right at the end of my last post, a challenge has been presented.  It comes as a result of one of the comments made to my introductory post written by an old colleague, Jay Konduros.

Jay interviewed and hired me for my first job out of university, and is one of the nicest people you'll meet.  He also seemed to be greatly amused by the sound of my name; there are times when I wonder if it was a determining factor in me getting the job.  I remember many mornings sitting at my desk hearing the sound of footsteps approaching, followed by a sing-song, slightly operatic pronouncement of my name as he continued on towards his own office or other destination.

So Jay's suggestion that I write a "Marshall Brown" song should be no great surprise to me.  Would it feel awkward to write a song with my own name as its prominent feature?  Definitely.  Would it be difficult to write such as song without it sounding hackneyed, pompous, or just generally asinine?  Very.  Am I going to make the attempt anyway?  You betcha.

So there it is; I am going to write, record, and share with you a song based on my name.   Hopefully I manage to come up with something that won't scar you all for life.  I'm going to set the deadline as the end of month.  It may end up arriving sooner as I've already managed to get some ideas down for it, but given my other commitments and inexperience at recording, engineering, and mastering, I'm only going to guarantee something by 11:59 PM, January 31st.

Keep watching for more details on what I come up with, as well as other activities for The Uncomfortable Project.

1 comment:

  1. Awesome! I'm sure you'll make that song your own :)

    ReplyDelete