Friday, January 7, 2011

Laying down some rules

In order for this project to work I'm going to have to lay down some rules for myself; otherwise it's far too easy to end up off-mission or letting it fizzle out.  The list of rules will likely grow as the project progresses, but here are some to start.

The first rule of The Uncomfortable Project is that you do talk about The Uncomfortable Project.  I've never been very comfortable with self-promotion, but if my goal for this project is to create and share music with as many people as I can, than the only way to do that is to let people know about it, keep them up to date on it, and encourage them to share it with anyone who might find it interesting.  I certainly hope I don't annoy the hell out of anyone, but I can't let fear of that stop me.

The second rule is that I won't back down from a challenge.  This doesn't mean I have to accept every single thing that someone proposes or opportunity that presents itself.  In some cases it may be unrealistic, impose burden on people other than myself, or simply doesn't fit the overall goal of the project.  But it does mean I do have to take an attitude of taking them on when I can, and that once I've done so I'm committed.

Which leads to the third rule, which is that I will have deadlines.  Certain things will be beyond my control, but if I say I'm going to produce something by a given date, everyone following me will find it before or on that date.  Deadlines aren't set in stone, of course; if extenuating circumstances appear, I need to be able to revise the plan without screams of "cheater!"  But the day can't just slip by with no results or a last-minute excuse of "I changed my mind", "I'll get to it later", or "It's not ready".  If it isn't ready, I'm forced to share what I do have, and let the potential embarrassment be a lesson to smarten up.

I think those three are good enough to get started.  Rule #2 has already reared its ugly head, so stay tuned...

No comments:

Post a Comment