Tuesday, February 22, 2011

The Second Song has Arrived!

Once again, I am releasing the tune in advance of the deadline as I expect little opportunity to rework it by then.  Without further ado:

Always Something Better

Creative Commons License

As before, you are free to play it, share it, sample it, remix it, soundtrack it, mash it, snort it, bake it in a pie - all so long as you don't steal my thunder, make a fortune, or refuse to spread the love.  Somehow I suspect this won't be a problem.

I actually had a harder time with this song than the first one, at least in terms of writing it. It lends itself well to different arrangements, and while that can be a good thing, it also meant it was much harder to lock ideas down. The initial plan was to have it as a sad and melancholy-sounding solo acoustic tune. There were two problems with that. First, the song was made entirely up of my three weakest areas: my vocals, my lyricism, and my acoustic finger-picking. Secondly, it turns out that sad and melancholy-sounding tunes have a way of sounding sad and melancholy. While there are a time and place for those, I think in the end I just wanted this tune to be a little more light-hearted and fun - relatively, anyway.

It's been fun to venture outside of what I would normally expect to hear from myself, but I feel like it's about time to break out something bluesy, gritty and loud.  Stay tuned.

2 comments:

  1. Marshall your soul is deep. I hear some CCR in this song - you are temporally connected to that magical music period of the 60's and 70's.

    Time to put this stuff on iTunes so we can buy it, or just to say you did it.

    JK

    ReplyDelete
  2. It hadn't even occurred to me, but you're right, there might be a hint of CCR in there. When I first started playing guitar, I was listening to a lot of 60's music like Jimi Hendrix, Cream, etc. So I suppose it should be no surprise that it comes out in these tunes.

    iTunes will be a while yet (most likely via CD Baby), but I'd eventually like to, as you said, just to say I did it. I'd like to get an album's worth first (or at least an EP), and I'd almost certainly touch a few tunes up.

    ReplyDelete